I am a native of Morgan County and currently work as the Director of Economic Development for Viaero Wireless and as an adjunct professor for Morgan Community College. I have been married to my wife Christal for 12 years and we have two boys Grant, age 10 and J.T. age 8. We live just south of Fort Morgan. My parents are business owners & they were farmers and I have two brothers who also own businesses.
My family is an active member of the Church of the Nazarene.
I have an AA in General Studies from Morgan Community College; a B.S. in Business Administration with an emphasis in Organizational Management from Colorado State University; and, an MBA from Colorado Christian University.
As an entrepreneur I have owned/own several businesses including a gas station, car washes, internet toy company, equipment rental company, car rental company, car leasing company, and rental properties.
As an employee I have been an adjuster for Farmers Insurance Group, the Executive Director for Morgan County Economic Development Corporation and am currently the Director of Economic Development for Viaero Wireless covering Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Nebraska. I am also working as an adjunct professor for Morgan Community college teaching business and economics.
As an elected official I served as a Commissioner for Morgan County overseeing a $31 million budget, 300 employees, two (2) enterprises funds and acted as a day-to-day manager.
This background has enabled me to develop a set of “core proficiencies” that I believe will serve me well in representing the people of Eastern Colorado.
- Effective and accountable in high-profile executive roles – ability to overcome complex challenges and make high stakes decisions using experience-backed judgment, strong work ethic and irreproachable integrity. Respected as a proponent of empowerment and accountability
- Fiscal Responsibility – budgeting and finance skills enable me to look at needs vs. wants and to make sure a long term structural responsibility exists. Government needs to only provide the essential services and allow the private sector provide the other desired services.
- Consistently deliver mission-critical results – driven by a need to strategize, to innovate, and to disprove the words “It can’t be done!” Proficient with the vision, determination and skills needed to look at long term solutions while solving short term crises.
- Adaptation of approaches to find maximum solutions – decision analysis to find the appropriate solution
- Respect and influence human capital – motive, mentor, live the culture and lead by example to spur people to willingly give 110% of effort and loyalty.
Finally, I have served on many professional boards that covered a diverse set of subjects:
Early Childhood Developement
| Chamber of Commerce
Emergency Management Services
Regional Political Advocacy
Health Department Board
Casualty and Property